- In order to prepare responsibly for future years, instead of utilizing all the Federal money at once, the use of these dollars will be spread over a two-year period.
- Agencies that are impacted by federal stimulus funding in FY10 and/or FY11 must develop transition plans or policy changes to address the loss of federal funds in FY11 or FY12. Agencies should not consider budget stimulus funds as though they are a permanent source of revenue.
- Avoid using stimulus funds to start new programs or hire additional permanent employees.
- Agencies should closely track all restrictions and any matching provisions that must come from state funds.
- Agencies must ensure that they follow both federal and state procurement and contracting laws, and have proper contract monitoring procedures in place.
- Federal Stimulus funds that will be disbursed to sub recipients must be reviewed by the primary state agency recipient to ensure that the funds are passed through only to entities that have a demonstrated need and proper internal controls and reporting procedures in place.